Monday, October 19, 2015

Behind the Locked Door (MYST)

Explorers blast their way into a blocked cave looking for Aztec relics and find something no one expected.

This was a great concept with poor execution. The sound effects were hammy and the plot almost didn't hold together, but I love the idea. I also don't think the title of the story makes much sense; a pile of boulders blocking a tunnel isn't much of a "door."

Spoilers ahead. This script reminded me some of the movie The Descent (2005). I love the idea of people having been shut up in the cave and then degenerating into albino cave savages. I even think the spine of this story works, the slow unraveling of a mystery punctuated by character deaths. The narrative frame itself is flawed, but provides an interesting ending to the tale. I need to see if Escape used this script because I expect that show's producer/director team would have done it better.

Mysterious Traveler #329
Behind the Locked Door
6 November 1951
Mutual. David Kogan (writer, producer, director), Maurice Tarplin (as "The Traveler"), Robert A. Arthur (writer).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I moderate all comments to prevent spam and nonsense. It may take a few moments for your words to appear.